Pages

this is my blog about my journey through life with a little princess after suffering the greatest loss of my best friend & love of my life.

i live day by day and when that is too much i live moment by moment.

Friday, August 19, 2011

our story part 3

Joe Alexis and I were making it work. We were both working full time which sucked but we were still finding time for each other and our princess. Not as much time as we wanted to spend together but we made it work, the bills still had to be payed. April 9th we celebrated our anniversary and our little munchkins 3 month birthday. We went to the aquarium and dinner. It was the perfect day, it poured down rain but it was so nice. I got a bracelet and a ring with and "A" engraved for Alexis on it. I had wanted it for so long. I got another present too, but it was on back order so I didnt get it that day. Alexis got an adorable photo frame with our pictures in it that still hangs in her room to this day.

I would say the end of April Joe started to get sick, he would say it was allergies and didnt think much of it. Well, the allergies were not going away, there were just getting worse. I pestered him to go to the dr but he was so against it. He finally went in the beginning of June and they said it was his asthma kicked up due to the weather. Gave him some meds and sent him on his way.We went to dinner for fathers day on June 18th. We went kinda early like 4 ish and Joe was so sick that day. He was winded just walking from the car to the door and was coughing like there was no tomorrow. I got a call around 10:30 pm after I had been talking to and texting Joe all night while we were at the festival in our town from him saying his roomate was taking him to the ER he couldnt do it anymore. I didnt think anything of it, I figured he would get the meds he needed and be on his way. Well, they told him he had pneumonia and would be in there for a couple days. No big deal. His o2 percentage was in the 70-80s and it needs to be above 90. Anything below is life threatening. They started treating him and they hoped he would heal on his own.

Everyday he told me to not worry about coming up to the hospital because he was leaving soon and he didnt want A there. So we only went to visit a couple times because he swore he was coming home to us so soon. He began to  get frustrated and depressed that he was still there. On July 3rd they said he would most likely need to go under for a respirator if his o2 levels dropped lower than 80 again. He would be sedated for 2-10 days while his lungs healed. July 4th at 5:30 am I got a text from him saying he was going under for the tubes. He was so worried about having a feeding tube haha, nothing else. The last message I got from him that morning said, " They are getting ready to start. I will talk to you asap. I love you both so much." broke my heart that I didnt get to talk to him since it was so early and I wasnt awake yet. :( He was out for a week before I heard any news. I then got a call from his mom saying we needed to talk. She explained to me he was now in ICU he was in a coma and they didnt know if he was going to make it. He had developed something called ARDS ( Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) and it was a fatal condition. They were going to put him on a bed that roatated every 15 min to try and move the fluid and have gravity work naturally. He went into this bed on the 11th of July. We were fighting the clock because he could only be on the respirator for 14 days before it had to come out.
The first few days on the bed were unsuccessful. That Wednesday was the first time they let me see him since he went into that bed. It was so hard to see the person I loved more than myself in that condition. I sobbed into his mom and his sister like it was  the end of the world. Once I stopped crying I looked at him, he was still unconscious, and I told him this had to end. I was done with him being sick and it was no longer funny. He needed to wake up because I needed him. and I needed him NOW. We had been a week and a half with no improvement and that was unacceptable to me. The next day his number had improved and he was making a turn. Friday he had an eval with the dr. He decided in the past 2 days Joe had made enough improvement to come off that bed and be put in a normal bed which was a huge step! YAY. We were moving in the right direction, he had heard my voice and knew it was time to get better. They also were going to start waking him from his coma to see how he responded. We were making progress and I was glowing..

No comments:

Post a Comment